Medical Malpractice Legal Team in Washington, D.C.
If doctors, nurses, or any other health practitioners cause harm to a patient through negligent practices—intentionally or unintentionally—medical malpractice is the legal framework used to determine if and to what level the healthcare professional is liable. Medical malpractice is committed when a patient fails to receive a reasonable “standard of care,” in the eyes of the law, which can vary in technical definition from state to state.
In Washington, D.C., it can be extremely difficult and complicated to start the process of filing for medical malpractice, which is why the Law Offices of Wesley L. Clark is committed to filing accurately and hassle-free on your behalf. Our lawyers understand how to examine medical records, where to find expert witness testimony from doctors in the same field, and how to comply with all the legal procedural requirements to ensure your case stands up in front of a judge.
When to contact a malpractice lawyer
If you feel you’ve suffered emotional or physical trauma as a result of negligent behavior from a medical professional, please contact our team. Even if you aren’t sure you have a case, our attorneys will listen to your situation and notice if there are any legal signs of a malpractice case. Your medical malpractice case may involve:
- Negligence on the part of the care provider
- Failure to use proper medical techniques
- Failure to provide a reasonable standard of care as defined in Washington, D.C.
It’s important to speak to legal counsel as soon as possible after experiencing negative consequences from a doctor’s visit, as any legal action must be taken within three (3) years of the incident (or from the time you noticed a health problem or discovered you received negligent care) under our local statute of limitations. Minors and incarcerated prisoners have three (3) years from majority or release to file a malpractice claim.
Common forms of medical malpractice
For patients without professional medical training, knowing whether your healthcare provider was negligent in your care can be difficult. That’s why it’s always worth asking a trained lawyer who understands the legal standard of care in your state. At the Law Offices of Wesley L. Clarke, we often see medical malpractice suits from the following situations, although there are other medical issues that could result in a successful lawsuit.
- Birth injuries to mother and/or child
- Emergency room mistakes
- Failure to diagnose or incorrect diagnoses of a health condition that led to injury or worsening of your condition
- Prescription drug errors that include administering the wrong drug or dosage, mislabeling drugs, or failing to inform you, the patient, of side effects
- Surgical malpractice that includes the improper use of anesthesia resulting in pain or injury or operating on the wrong patient, body part, incision point, or for the wrong condition
- Other doctor negligence, including any case of a doctor’s lack of proper care (including dentists, eye doctors, nurses, etc.) making a health condition worse, causing unreasonable side effects, or creating a need for further treatment
If you feel any of these situations relate to your personal experiences, please schedule a consultation in our offices to learn more.
Why Hire Us?
- We can handle a wide range of legal matters effectively
- We are committed to interacting with each client in an honest manner
- We have a strong work ethic & take a client-centered approach
- We proudly serve Washington, D.C. & many cities throughout Virginia & Maryland
- We provide strong legal counsel & guidance while being caring & understanding