Probate Law Washington, DC
Understanding and Navigating Probate Administration in Washington, DC
It’s always difficult when someone close to you passes away. Not only do you have to deal with the loss of their presence in your life, but also the distribution of their estate. Regardless of whether your loved one created a living will or the distribution of assets will be designated by state law, you are now entering the complicated world of Probate law. This legal process of court-managed estate administration can be tricky, which is why you need an experienced legal advisor to help you sort through the confusion.
At the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke, our probate attorney will help you understand the process, covering everything from routine estate administration to complex fiduciary litigation. With more than 20 years of experience in Probate law, you can count on our dedicated team to handle the distribution of your loved one’s estate in a compassionate and professional manner.
Understanding the Probate Process
After the passing of a loved one, the finances and assets are distributed and managed according to the decedent’s last will and testament, which is something we help clients draft and validate with our estate planning services. Probate is used to complete the following tasks, when necessary:
- Proving the validity of a will, whenever it exists. Rarely do disputes arise about the validity of a will that’s on file with the State, but when disputes do occur, a Probate court has the responsibility of settling it.
- If no Executor or Trustee for the decedent’s assets is named, Probate assigns one. When no will exists, it’s up to the court to decide who should be named the Executor, the person responsible for ensuring the decedent’s assets are dividing or used correctly.
- Totaling assets in and out of the estate. Organizing someone’s estate isn’t as simple as taking stock of all their possessions. Some property may be excluded from the estate for a variety of reasons, and financial assets (including debts) must be included in the process of assigning the value to an estate.
- Ensuring estate taxes are paid, as well as other debts. Probate can also come into play when there are disputes about money after a person’s death. In issues of estate taxes or deciding whether or not the estate needs to be used to cover debts, Probate courts can step in.
Why Use Wesley Clarke Legal in Probate law?
Consider this: Your loved one has just passed away, and you expect the resulting process to go as smoothly as possible to limit your family’s grief and emotional pain in the aftermath, but you find out your loved one didn’t have a will or the will they did have is being judged to be invalid. In this difficult time, you need the guidance and compassion of a Probate law expert who can ensure the process of Probate goes smoothly for all parties and your interests are protected throughout the legal process.
- The sooner the situation is resolved, the sooner it seems that the death of a loved one can be resolved as well. Probate is a difficult process for people who are grieving, and an expert lawyer can help you get through it as smoothly as possible.
- Whether you’re an heir to a potential will or the beneficiary of a trust, you have interests you need to make sure are protected during the process of probate administration.
Here are the ways that Wesley Clarke Legal can help you throughout:
When it comes to probate and estate administration, the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke can assist you with:
• Filing a petition with the proper Probate court
• Providing notice to heirs under the will or to statutory heirs (if no will exists)
• Petitioning to appoint an Executor (in the case of a will) or Administrator for the estate
• Creating an inventory and appraisal of estate assets by the Executor/Administrator
• Paying off estate debts to rightful creditors
• Organizing the sale of estate assets
• Paying off estate taxes, if applicable
• Coordinating the final distribution of assets to heirs
Challenging Probate law
Challenges can be made to any aspect of Probate law and the attached process, so if you feel your loved one’s estate is not being properly handled, then contact the outstanding probate attorneys at the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke. We can look into the validity of your loved one’s living will, challenge the status of the person serving as Executor or personal representative, or challenge whether the Executor is properly administering the estate. Whether you need assistance with estate planning or help with probate and estate administration, the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke are at your service. Schedule an appointment with our Washington, DC, probate attorney today!
Do you need help with probate and estate administration? Contact us today at (202) 257-9730 to schedule an appointment with our Washington, DC, probate attorney.
Our Probate and Estate Administration Services:
Every year, hundreds of clients come to us with estate and probate administration issues, because no one wants their loved one’s estate to be tied up in probate for two reasons:
Why Hire Us?
- We can handle a wide range of legal matters effectively
- We are committed to interacting with each client in an honest manner
- We have a strong work ethic & take a client-centered approach
- We proudly serve Washington, D.C. & many cities throughout Virginia & Maryland
- We provide strong legal counsel & guidance while being caring & understanding