Probate Law Washington, DC
Helping You Navigate the Complexities of Probate
It’s always difficult when someone close to you passes away. Not only do you have to deal with the loss of their presence in your life, but also the distribution of their estate. Regardless of whether your loved one created a living will or the distribution of assets will be designated by state law, you are now entering the complicated world of Probate Law. This legal process of court-managed estate administration can be tricky, which is why you need an experienced legal advisor to help you sort through the confusion.
At the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke, our probate attorney will help you understand the process, covering everything from routine estate administration to complex fiduciary litigation. With more than 20 years of experience in Probate Law, you can count on our dedicated team to handle the distribution of your loved one’s estate in a compassionate and professional manner.
Understanding the probate process
After the passing of a loved one, the finances and assets are distributed and managed according to the state’s laws of succession and the decedent’s last will and testament. Probating a will is the process of determining that the will is valid and carrying out the wishes of the estate owner contained in the document. An executor or personal representative, either appointed by the will or by the state, will ascertain all of the estate’s assets, pay any outstanding estate debt or taxes, and then distribute the remainder of the estate to the beneficiaries according to the will. If there is no will left behind, the distribution of the remainder will take place according to the district’s laws of succession.
Our probate and estate administration services
When it comes to probate and estate administration, the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke can assist you with:
- File a petition with the proper probate court
- Provide notice to heirs under the will or to statutory heirs (if no will exists)
- Petition to appoint executor (in the case of a will) or Administrator for the estate
- Create an inventory and appraisal of estate assets by executor/administrator
- Pay off estate debts to rightful creditors
- Organize the sale of estate assets
- Pay off estate taxes, if applicable
- Coordinate the final distribution of assets to heirs
Challenging Probate law
Challenges can be made to any aspect of Probate law and the attached process, so if you feel that your loved one’s estate is not being properly handled, then contact the outstanding probate attorneys at the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke. We can look into the validity of your loved one’s living will, challenge the status of the person serving as executor or personal representative, or challenge whether the executor is properly administering the estate.
Whether you need assistance with estate planning or help with probate and estate administration, the Law Offices of Wesley Clarke are at your service. Schedule an appointment with our Washington DC probate attorney today!
Why Hire Us?
- We can handle a wide range of legal matters effectively
- We are committed to interacting with each client in an honest manner
- We have a strong work ethic & take a client-centered approach
- We proudly serve Washington, D.C. & many cities throughout Virginia & Maryland
- We provide strong legal counsel & guidance while being caring & understanding